mrsbecky07 – recipe from Giada De Laurentiis’ “Everyday Italian.”
LOVE this sauce!!!! Easy to make and super super tasty. I almost always use bacon.
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 6 ounces pancetta, diced
* 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
* 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
* 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
In a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta and reserve. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and the cooked pancetta. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper, to taste.